We have had a great first full week here at Bruce! Students seem to have settled into their routines quickly and they are doing their best to follow the new protocols. The grade 6 students are learning how to navigate the library system and sign out books, grade 7 students are doing a reading diagnostic, and the grade 8’s are working hard on how to be leaders in the building.
With the recent news about COVID outbreaks in a few Winnipeg schools, we know it can be stressful to think about what could happen if it there is an outbreak in my child’s school? All we can do is our best to follow the government protocols for safety and be as prepared as we can be. The government has outlined five scenarios and what the appropriate response would be:
If a staff member or child
- is sick - go/stay home, isolate, get tested or continue to isolate for 10 days, contact Health Links
- has no symptoms but has had close contact with someone who tested positive - stay home, isolate, contact Health Links for next steps
- has some symptoms and has had close contact with someone who tested positive - stay home, isolate, contact Health Links for next steps (most likely testing)
- has had close contact with someone who has had contact with someone who tested positive - no action required except self-monitor, if the contact becomes positive for COVID then see above
- TEST POSITIVE we will be notified by public health and they determine next steps (close class, school or not) and begin contact tracing
See the following for more details:
It will be up to Public Health to determine the next steps for the school and who to contact.
Here are some reminders for the coming week ahead:
- The Opening Day information package contained some forms that need to be returned. If you have not already done so, please try to have it done next week.
- Picture Day is October 2nd. Information packages will be coming home on Monday, Sept. 21
- For absence reporting, the phone number to call is 1-844-434-8116
- Immunization forms for grade 6 are now past due. Thank you to everyone who has returned their form.
- Please make sure you child has a water bottle for school. Water fountains are not available currently.
- Bussing for eligible students has not yet begun, but the transportation department will soon have service ready to go. If you have questions, please call the school office at 204-888-1990
- Please make sure your child has something to read for daily reading. This can be a book, magazine, or any other form of printed text. Devices are not allowed during this time.
We hope you and your family enjoy the last true weekend of summer!