Finding Your Catchment Area
Enter your home address in our School Locator tool to determine whether your family resides in one of our 26 catchment areas. Review your catchment schools and determine which program (English or French Immersion) is right for your child.
To explore SJASD catchment areas further, visit our Early Years interactive google map, which displays school locations and catchment areas for English and French Immersion. Be sure to cross reference these results with the School Locator tool.
How to Register
Once you have confirmed that your family lives in an SJASD catchment area and have decided on the English or French program, it's time to register.
Our annual registration process takes place in January and February for the following school year, and we strongly encourage caregivers to register at that time if they are able to do so.
Unless your child is 18 years of age or older, a parent or guardian must be present to register a student.
Please review the following steps, deadlines, and identification requirements to register for the 2023-24 school year:
If you have missed the registration deadline for 2023-24, contact your catchment school to obtain registration instructions.
Families moving into a new catchment area during the school term should either:
- Contact your existing SJASD school administrators to discuss registration options for your child if they are already in an SJASD school; or
- Contact your incoming catchment school if your child is new to the Division.
Important: All caregivers must first register their child in their catchment area school before submitting a request to register for an out-of-catchment SJASD school.
From time to time, caregivers may wish to register a child for a school that is out of their catchment area. This includes families that live outside Division boundaries.
While this is not always possible, and depends on available space and other considerations, if this is something your family would like to do, caregivers may submit an Out-of-Catchment/Out-of-Division application and be placed on a waitlist. SJASD will review each request on the wait list and let the family know whether the application has been accepted or denied.
Please note the following:
- You must first register your child for their catchment school prior to completing an Out-of-Catchment/Out-of-Division application.
- SJASD will begin accepting applications for the 2023-24 school year on February 17, 2023 at 8 a.m.
- The link to the application form is now live. Schools may also link to the form directly on their website. If you have any difficulties accessing the form, please contact the Division office.
- Families that live outside of Winnipeg should submit their Out-of-Division requests no later than May 15, 2023.
- Requests will be processed in the order they were received.
- Families on the waitlist will be notified of the status of their request starting on June 16, 2023.
For Q&As on registering your child for an out-of-catchment, Early Years school, read our Guide to Early Years Out-of-Catchment Registration Brochure.
For further information, please contact the Division office (Out-of-Catchment/Out-of-Division questions) or the school in your catchment area (other registration questions). School contact information is available on school websites or via School Locator.